As a homeowner, are you prepared for the lengthy, complicated and time-consuming task of filing a property damage or property loss claim with your insurance company in the event of residential damage? Whether the claim is for a fire or hurricane damage, the process for filing a claim on residential property is tedious, made no less complicated by the flood of emotion and shock left behind by the damage, depending on its severity.
What to Expect in a Residential Damage Claim
It’s important for homeowners to understand that there are several steps involved in filing a residential claim. This should encourage them to be proactive in preparing as much as they can for this kind of loss, just in case it ever happens. What can homeowners expect during the lengthy process of a residential claim?
- Expect to stay in a temporary home, depending on the damage.
Depending on the damage and how much of it there is, you may need to plan for you and your family to stay somewhere else until the home is repaired or rebuilt.
- Expect many tight deadlines, forms and tasks to be completed.
The residential claims process is very complex, and involves many steps in order to get the issues settled.
- Expect to attend lots of meetings and phone calls.
You will receive calls from contractors, adjusters, insurance reps, etc. You will also attend many appointments and meetings about your claim, regarding everything from paperwork to settlement offers. The key is to be organized, attend each meeting, take each phone call.
- Expect to write a complete inventory list.
This is something that homeowners should do well ahead of time. Your insurance company will expect to see a complete inventory list of everything that has been lost, the cost and the current replacement value of each item. A good tip is to complete this as a preemptive measure, in case it is ever needed. The emotional and mental toll that property damage or loss can take on you may keep you from remembering exactly what you have lost.
- Expect to receive lower offers of compensation.
Expect that the insurance company will attempt to offer you a lower settlement for your claim — they may offer to clean or repair something instead of replace it, for instance — and expect that they will employ these short pay tactics to end everything quickly.
L & M Public Adjusters Can Help
At L & M Public Adjusters, we understand the complexities of the insurance claim process from all angles, and we are ready to help you obtain fair compensation for the damage to your home.
- We will not accept a settlement offer without your consent.
- We will handle all paperwork, deadlines and tasks fully, carefully and expeditiously.
- We will answer all of your questions and advise you in the best possible way on your situation.
- We will meet with insurance adjusters regardless of whether or not they have already been sent out to assess your claim, and we will assess the damage together. We will come up with and submit our own estimates for repair and rebuild.
- We will negotiate with your insurance company to get you the highest possible settlement to get your home back to pre-loss condition.
At L & M Public Adjusters, we represent damage victims in Rhode Island. Let us work on your claim to get the results that you deserve.
Our Public Adjusters Are Licensed To Assist Businesses & Residents In Rhode Island, Including Such Areas As:
- South Kingstown
And Connecticut, Including Such Areas As:
- New London
- West Haven